Thursday, June 18, 2015

My Favorite Sunburn Remedy


Wow, did it get hot fast! We're in full summer mode, which means that it's time to get ready for sunburns.

During the last week of school, my daughter's school had a swim day. It was very cloudy and a little chilly, but I warned her that she needed to wear sunscreen and that she could get sunburned even though there wasn't any sun. Being a middle-schooler, of course she ignored me. She came home sunburned on her face and shoulders. At bedtime I applied Miracle Salve then lavender oil all over her sunburn. She was able to sleep without any discomfort and the next day her skin wasn't nearly as red and didn't hurt at all. Her friend ended up missing a couple days of school because of her sunburn.


Miracle Salve was specifically formulated to treat burns. It's also great for any skin condition and healing dry, cracked skin. Every winter the skin around my fingernails cracks and bleeds. This past winter I applied Miracle Salve to my cuticles from time to time and I didn't have any cracking all winter. I bring my jar of Miracle Salve every time we go camping just in case someone burns themselves.

My husband burned his hand on a hot vehicle part. I applied a few drops of lavender to the burn. He said it helped, but that it still hurt. Then I applied the Miracle Salve and he said the pain went away. It's a fantastic product to have on hand!

Miracle Salve should be kept in the fridge to prevent it from going rancid.

You can apply the Miracle Salve to the skin then apply lavender essential oil, or you can put the Salve in the palm of your hand and add a drop or two of lavender and mix it together before applying.

You can also make a sunburn spray with essential oils to spray over large surfaces of the skin.

DIY Sunburn Spray

glass spray bottle
distilled water
witch hazel -or- apple cider vinegar
10-20 drops lavender essential oil
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil

Fill the glass spray bottle 1/3 with distilled water, and another 1/3 with either witch hazel or apple cider vinegar. Add the lavender and peppermint oil (the peppermint oil is cooling to hot, burned skin but you can omit it if using on kids or sensitive skin). Fill the remainder of the bottle with water, but leave enough room that it can mix together when you shake it. Shake well before each use.

Have a happy and safe summer!