Friday, May 22, 2015

My Favorite Hand Soap


About a year and a half ago I started cutting out chemicals around the house to better support my body. The chemicals and fragrances in soaps and perfumes have an effect on our hormones, and since I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) I need to do everything I can to avoid hormone disruptions.

I came across a recipe for homemade foaming hand soap using essential oils and tweaked it a little to make it just right. I emptied my old Bath and Body Works foaming soap bottles (that was a little painful at first, let me tell you!) and they work perfectly for this recipe. You can also buy foaming soap bottles online. Most recipes for hand soap use tea tree oil to make it anti-bacterial. I like to use the blend SpiceC from Butterfly Express because of it's warm citrus/spice smell. SpiceC is similar to Deliverance and is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and supports the immune system. (It's also my favorite oil to diffuse around the house!)


DIY Foaming Hand Soap

An empty foaming soap bottle that's been rinsed out
Water
2-3 Tbsp Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap (I like the unscented kind)
20-30 drops of SpiceC essential oil

After rinsing the soap bottle well, add 3 Tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap and 20-30 drops of SpiceC essential oil. Add water to just below the neck of the bottle (it will foam up and spill out when you put the lid on). Screw on the lid and gently shake the bottle to mix. You may need to shake the bottle a few times over the next 24 hours to re-mix the ingredients.

I love how easy and affordable it is to make this soap--less than a dollar per bottle! You can find Dr. Bronner's soap at most health food stores or online. I get mine from Natural Grocer's.

You can read more about SpiceC here: http://butterflyexpressions.org/information/Blends/SpiceC